Can`t see the forest for the trees? [Quest]

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Warrior
Evil Iggy

Can`t see the forest for the trees? [Quest]

Post by Warrior » Sun 31.05.2009, 19:41

Somewhere, far from town, you run across the plains... from level to level... If you enter the level the wrong way it's just another forest, if you enter it from exactly the right direction... it's a hallway to... DEATH! (and riches).

Difficulty: Hard (Level 40-50).
Location: Quite far from town. More than halfway to the edge of the world. Run west across the vast plains, enter what appears to be a dense forest. (Looks can be deceiving)...
It is far from any previous quests. The air is clean, no boggy swamps nearby. No wastelands. Not even a cursed forest. The area seems quite dull... Almost in the middle of nowhere.
update. It's not necessarily west of TOWN. Sorry for any confusion. The idea is that you'll have to enter it from the east, in the right location to notice that there's anything unusual about the level. (Unless you by default map all wilderness levels fully.
Trivia: On a sign nearby "Here be demons"
-- Mangband Project Team Member

timtek
Giant House Fly

Re: Can`t see the forest for the trees? [Quest]

Post by timtek » Mon 01.06.2009, 05:49

Sounds awesome, but I think I'll sit this one out, I'm still learning.

Michailski
Giant Spotted Rat

Post by Michailski » Mon 01.06.2009, 21:30

I am in the Tavern. I drink my Whine and enjoy a fine Meal. And i hear the smalltalk of the Townsfolk nearby. Suddenly i hear words which sound like a new Job for me, a new Adventure. I listen attentively and hear...
Warrior wrote:Somewhere, far from town, you run across the plains... from level to level... If you enter the level the wrong way it's just another forest, if you enter it from exactly the right direction... it's a hallway to... DEATH! (and riches). Difficulty: Hard (Level 40-50).
..I think about and it flies through my mind.. oO(Hm.. Not a lot of Information what i get. I may ask around if someone knows anything how to find it, but if not it isnt worth the search. I will die on my hi age if i try to search on the whole World for a small Adventure. The Dungeon is close. And i know what i have to do there.)

It sounds nice but i determine to drop this Adventure till i get more Informations. I order another Whine and pay my Bill. The day was hard and the next will be hard too. Like every Day since i live in this small Town close to the Hell.

[Edit]
A new Day has gone and i am back in the Taverne. I ask around for more Informations and for real, i get them.
Warrior wrote:Location: Quite far from town. More than halfway to the edge of the world. Run west across the vast plains, enter a dense forest. It is far from any previous quests. The air is clean, no boggy swamps nearby. No wastelands. Not even a cursed forest. The area seems quite dull...
Trivia: On a sign nearby "Here be demons"
I haste to my small Flat. Get all the Stuff, which an Adventurer means to need strongly, and i am allready on my way straight West. Badly i can not see alot of the surroundings, i travel by Night. So i need to pray a lot to know whats around me. I meet a lot of horrible things. I know them, but i ve never seen them outside of the dark Dungeons.
Suddenly my adventurous journey stops. It seems there are permanent Walls. I try it to the North and to the West. Each direction the same.
I get a terrible Idea.. Maybe the earth is not a sphere. The earth is flat !
I take some notes about the Location to find back later. Then i pray the Word of Recall. I have to continue at Day. And i have to calm down first.

(with kind regards... Jordan ;) )
Last edited by Michailski on Tue 02.06.2009, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8uAvMey ... r_embedded Three little pigs
My english isnt bad. I am ahead of time. I use the spelling reform of the english language starting 2010.

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Tue 02.06.2009, 05:36

[updated with some (vague of course) information about location]

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Tue 02.06.2009, 21:38

Been at the western end and back, been across plenty of plains, but the search still continues... and the number of corpses increase ^^
I am Thorbear...

Michailski
Giant Spotted Rat

Post by Michailski » Wed 03.06.2009, 00:07

Seems i am unable to find it. I have nearly the half Map west of town enlightened. But at all i found this Wood with Potions.

I destroyed some Stacks like Confusion and Saltwater and took the remaining with me. Of course i had allready 10 Healings in my inventory.

My english isnt bad. I am ahead of time. I use the spelling reform of the english language starting 2010.

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Wed 03.06.2009, 05:42

Warrior wrote:update. It's not necessarily west of TOWN. Sorry for any confusion. The idea is that you'll have to enter it from the east, in the right location to notice that there's anything unusual about the level. (Unless you by default map all wilderness levels fully.
Hmm, well that explains why noone's found anything around the western borders...
I am Thorbear...

Michailski
Giant Spotted Rat

Post by Michailski » Wed 03.06.2009, 14:59

So we shall explore the remain of the World too ? We don`t need hints how to enter it. We need hints how to find. Do it in Math. Do it in a Story. Drop Items which say how we have to go to find it (or the next Item with a new target). There are a lot ways to make a really funny Run/Quest instead of a boring World exploration. Like allready said in this Threat...
Michailski wrote:..I think about and it flies through my mind.. oO(Hm.. Not a lot of Information what i get. I may ask around if someone knows anything how to find it, but if not it isnt worth the search. I will die on my hi age if i try to search on the whole World for a small Adventure. The Dungeon is close. And i know what i have to do there.)....
Quotes from the last Quests....
Michailski wrote:Oh.. It wasn`t that easy to find....swearing on each that bad that i don`t want to repeat.... (The searching part isn`t funny. Its boring and its more dangerous than the target mission.)
serina wrote:Sounds fun indeed. I decided to go look for the trail of blood today, but after running around like a mad-man on a deserted island, I decided that the wilderness is way too huge for me to even consider trying to find this quest......ZAL
grisu wrote:Same to me, i invested over 1 hour running around in the wilderness to find the quest and got bored.
Quests should have riddles to find them, some calculating hints to find the depth...I still like these quests and thank everyone who make them :)
I drop the Quest till i know where i have to search. Anyways Thanks for the Work. And Good Luck to the Adventures which still at the search.

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Wed 03.06.2009, 18:03

I'm sorry about that! I originally made this level half a year ago or so, just to be yet another random thing to stumble across in the wilderness and when I stumbled across it in the wild a few days ago I figured I'd make a quick quest out of it. I'll take all your suggestions and try to make the next one much better.

New info:

There are two large swamps east of this level. There's a large cursed forest north.
You can see at least three large lakes.
It is the 7'th level from the edge of the world, in two directions.

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Wed 03.06.2009, 20:39

Nice find! I'm the one who left treasure at -58800. I later started inscribing things like {If you find this, post on the forum!} because I like to hear about people finding treasure I've left. I don't think the potions were inscribed, though, so thanks for the screenshot.

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Wed 03.06.2009, 20:42

Michailski wrote:But at all i found this Wood with Potions.
That's a pretty amazing find :)

Michailski
Giant Spotted Rat

Post by Michailski » Wed 03.06.2009, 23:39

@Warrior. Thanks for the good Hints. =) I will continue my search after work.

@Ashi. Thanks for it. A pretty nice Job and Idea. =)
Jordan sold all Stuff he don´t need himself to Black Jack. So the half of the Healings, the Restore Mana and the Enlightments are available for other Players now.
It seems it was a enchanted forest. As i returned from town it was allready filled with new trees.
If i find something special at the Wilderness i leave allways one Item with a inscription {done/found/cleared by Charname}

@Flambard. Tny. For real petty amazing.

Btw. Should someone find it before i am back from work. Don´t forget about the Outdoorspeed. It wouldn´t be nice to find your Corpse there. =)

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sat 06.06.2009, 10:33

With those hints it should be piece of cake to find it!

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Tue 30.06.2009, 21:34

I guess it wasn't, so here's a new hint.
From east to west on the map there is no more than fifty levels.
Soranchu is already on it so hurry up if you want to find it (The reward should be worth it).

NephronNekton
Mean-Looking Mercenary

Post by NephronNekton » Wed 01.07.2009, 00:17

Hehe. I found it! I also partially cleared it with my 3d5 *slay demon* before realizing the danger of unresisted chaos mixed with low speed.
The potions were a nice reward, as was the feanorian lamp - currently in use :)
Unfortunately for me, the boots that I thought were most likely speed boots turned out to be cursed d: and as I was inscribing equipment I foolishly destructed my 3d5 longsword along with my old dwarven lantern that I was going to leave behind.
The boots somehow survived though...find them if you dare. :I

I signed up for an account so I could share some screenshots of the quest, including my ridiculous world map for Kom, but I'm not really sure how this works...I'll give it a try though. ^^
Attachments
Quest_Upload_2f.jpg
Screenshot 2 - Dire Warnings
Quest_Upload_2f.jpg (96.86 KiB) Viewed 32568 times
Quest_Upload_1.JPG
Screenshot 1 - ^^
Quest_Upload_1.JPG (99.4 KiB) Viewed 32569 times
Map_Soranchu_06-30-09.jpg
Soranchu's Map
Map_Soranchu_06-30-09.jpg (146.01 KiB) Viewed 32569 times