v = Throw :)

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
CloneDeath
Orc Zombie

v = Throw :)

Post by CloneDeath » Mon 06.07.2009, 16:13

There are a few commands that greatly improve the game. These commands sometimes have the ability to turn "Useless" items into "Usefull" items, esp at lower levels when a lot of the stuff you find is just crap.

I think I will start with the leter "v" which lets you throw an item, doing damage to the creature you threw it at.

So, me and my room mate are walking through a dungeon, when we come up on a horde of spiders. A couple of low level rangers should be able to take them, if we can wake up one at a time and squeeze them in a hallway. I recently just found some pebbles.

"Hey, I have an idea" I say to my room mate "stand back, this might not work".

I then proceed into the room, smashing "v, i, up, left" 4 or 5 times, which caused my character to throw pebbles upwards while strafing left, waking up all the spiders with a handfull of pebbles. I respond with "Shit" and we both bolt out of the room. I die, of course, he lives.

Later on, while playing Solo as Grimmore (Troll Warior), I got my hands on a Rodent Skeleton (Useless). I then proceeded to start EVERY combat situation by throwing it, and in most cases, instantly killing anything it hit (Usefull).

After a mold magically absorbed the skeleton, I found a knife. Throwing knife. My character is now a ninja :)....

So I come along this sleeping priest. I come in, and he wakes up (Trolls, they be loud) startled, I threw my knife at him immediately. I expected the knife to land right in his eye, not only blinding him, but landing a critical hit (as every ninja should expect). But instead, the fat idiot (idiot because he has 3 int, fat because he gets soooooo hungry) throws it about half way inbetween us. I lunge for the knife, pick it up, and throw it at him again. The knife embeds itself in the priest. Terrified of what happened, he starts running away. "B*tch stole my ninja knife!" So I only had one option: HUNT HIM DOWN. My Troll SPRINTED (ie: walked slowly) to the priest. The sensible refined person in me started to say "Hello good sir, It seems that you have my ninja knife still attached to your torso, would you mind removing it?" but the troll I was playing could only manage to let out a "YAAAAAAAARGHL" as he hacked the priest to pieces. Grimmore the Troll picked up his knife, and skipped happily on through the dungeons corridors.

Ohh how I love "v" and your ability to throw.

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: v = Throw :)

Post by Ashi » Mon 06.07.2009, 20:33

Haha! Now try it with oil flasks. They are nature's hand grenades.

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Tue 07.07.2009, 02:54

Then you see if high level players will give you pots of detonations, ruination and death. :)

CloneDeath
Orc Zombie

Post by CloneDeath » Tue 07.07.2009, 12:32

There are potions of DEATH?!?!

Ok, it is official, my ranger is officially going to stop randomly testing out pots, scrolls, and wands.

But I want them so badly @_@

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Tue 07.07.2009, 13:21

well wands and scrolls are fine...usually. Their are very very few of those that can screw you over. Using a wand of clone monster against something that is stronger than you....reading a scroll of *curse weapon*...but this can be handled by using things smartly, and *curse weapon* doesn't show up usually till after you get a constant source of ID
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

CloneDeath
Orc Zombie

Post by CloneDeath » Tue 07.07.2009, 14:27

Ok. It is weird, but I think in the last 24hrs of my char, I have collected more rods, scrolls and wands of light than I have ever seen before o.O I basically have infinite uses left :P Actually, I have no idea how many uses left, since I have not identified them yet...

...Rods of light are fun :P

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Wed 08.07.2009, 01:12

you dont even know how much I love rods of light. I play ironman to 1K, then basically retire my characters, but I leave a rod of light at 1K as a "yea I got here" token.

Ive lit whole levels with them before when I was playing *SLOWLY* with a solo Ironman Mage.

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Wed 08.07.2009, 02:27

Rods of light are great for taking out orcs, jellies, molds, even lice. Too bad trolls with 3 INT can't make a lot of use of rods...

It MIGHT be easier to get a high level player to give you a mushroom of Unhealth - those make good throwing weapons too. And the reason we suggest you hit up a high level player for these items is that you often won't find them until much later in the dungeon. So don't worry about potions of death at low levels, but do watch out for potions of weakness, blindness, sickliness, lose memories, and other delicacies. Yum!

CloneDeath
Orc Zombie

Post by CloneDeath » Thu 09.07.2009, 12:40

I was so mad at myself last night. Swarms of novice priests (??? never seen that before) were after me. I got away with Phantom Door or whatever, but I JUST sold my confuse potions... I had like 12... I could have just kept throwing them into the Mosh pit of priests and watched them drunkedly trip over themselves and stumble around in the dark...

does anyone else think it is weird that other p (player) monsters don't carry at least a torch? Last I checked it was impossible to cast prayers or magic without a light source, but apparently these low-leveled players/monsters figured it out @_@.