Self selling cheeze

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Emulord
King Vampire

Self selling cheeze

Post by Emulord » Tue 07.09.2010, 21:14

Liam and sorry Schroeder, but Schroeder/Orome have been scumming 7 with a lower level character to buy potions to sell to their high level character at great profit.

Paying other people to scum the BM for you is fine, but paying yourself isnt.

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: Self selling cheeze

Post by schroeder » Wed 08.09.2010, 07:05

Too bad you can just easily pay someone else for perhaps a small amount less $, who will would then probably sell the items to your other character.
Going through that loop is just silly.
And not being able to take advantage of the market because your other character is the highest bidder is also kinda dumb.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Wed 08.09.2010, 08:35

It is still considered cheezy. Altho I'm not sure if it's actually against the rules, as you are SELLING the items...
I am Thorbear...

BeNutz
Squint-Eyed Rogue

Post by BeNutz » Wed 08.09.2010, 10:48

To be honest, I dont think that self cheezing in itself is completely bad. I mean, so long as you are the one putting in the hours, what does it matter which character receives the benefits? Higher level equipment still involves higher risk, since having your main die sucks. Just because all players havent put in the time to be able to take that risk doesnt mean those that have should suffer.

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Wed 08.09.2010, 13:07

BeNutz wrote:To be honest, I dont think that self cheezing in itself is completely bad. I mean, so long as you are the one putting in the hours, what does it matter which character receives the benefits? Higher level equipment still involves higher risk, since having your main die sucks. Just because all players havent put in the time to be able to take that risk doesnt mean those that have should suffer.
Good points... Altho:
For a level 40-50 it requires a lot less hours to acquire very good items than it would for a level 5-15.
It also is less risky for a level 40-50 than it is for a level 5-15 (regardless of how you play, as a high-level character does have access to more means of survival).
What do you suffer by not being allowed to do what others cannot do?

An independent example:
Would you find it OK for my ThorMag to buy Potions of Healing (which he doesn't really need, as I don't play him too often these days, and he has more than enough to dive) for one million a piece from my ThorPri, whilst paying only 10k a piece to other players?

A problem with making rules about this is: How do you NOT cheeze, if no other players are currently selling the potions you want. You pay too much, and you're cheezing the low level char. You pay too little, and you're cheezing the high level char.

The most significant difference between cheezing and non-cheezing would be intentions. Do you sell those potions to yourself to enrich yourself (avoiding the giving-away-gold-rule)? Or do you sell them to yourself because nobody else is buying/selling these potions, and you want them sold/bought.
And unless you know a true mind reader, the true intentions cannot be found. Thus making this not against the rules (but still considered cheezy).

If such were to be apprehended, it would be if they pay extremely high/low amounts of gold (10 gold / 1 million gold).
I am Thorbear...

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 09.09.2010, 12:08

I don't understand all this discussion...
Everything in the game has a price, which is computed from base cost and extra properties. Whatever character you use, you buy/sell items from/to shops or any other char using that price. As long as you use that rightful price, there is no cheezing whatsoever.

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Fri 10.09.2010, 05:21

Unfortunately, the prices are not enforced when a player sells directly to another player, without using their store. If sold at the 'standard' price (between 1x and 3.5x base price) it's not bad. The problem comes when selling at higher or lower prices than can be found in the stores.
Mangband Project Team Member

Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Hades » Sat 09.10.2010, 02:26

Zaxx wrote:I don't understand all this discussion...
Everything in the game has a price, which is computed from base cost and extra properties. Whatever character you use, you buy/sell items from/to shops or any other char using that price. As long as you use that rightful price, there is no cheezing whatsoever.

This pretty much says it all...
PWMAngband Host - Check out http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 and download the client, server, lib files, sound fx patch and even the source code for this new variant!

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 11.10.2010, 12:45

Ah ok I see it now...
Level 10 character finds a potion of healing, buys a 2x1 house and puts the potion {for sale 1000000}
Level 50 character (same player) goes to the house and buys the heal, giving a free 1M cash to the low level char.
That in fact is strictly against the rules... not even cheezing, that's pure cheating.