Distribution of monsters

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Berendol
Evil Iggy

Distribution of monsters

Post by Berendol » Mon 25.11.2002, 04:40

I've been examining the distribution of monsters throughout the dungeon - through an in-house project, which I haven't got to the point where I feel comfortable releasing it.

Anyways, after the lower 2000's there aren't a lot of new monsters. I think we should add some new ones below there to maintain variety all the way down the pits, and maybe some new ones below 5000'.

Seems to me the game will get pretty monotonous when it comes to finding monsters once I get down past 3000'. Which I haven't. Any ideas?

Oh yeah, I do know that there is still a lot of playability down there. I would like to see more variety in the monsters, that's all.

Related info:
http://www.rit.edu/~djl5698/angband/gmap.htm - a copy of the graphical distribution map
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: Distribution of monsters

Post by Maegdae » Mon 25.11.2002, 16:40

Good point! 3k has a nice spread of NASTY monsters, such as Great Wyrms of Balance, Greater Qulythigs, and Black Reavers.  As far as I know, Hell Hounds are the only non-unique monster that appears below 3800 or so, and they are at just below 4k.  Between 4100 and 6350, no new monsters appear at all, just uniques.  Perhaps Greater Balrogs could be added?
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z