Grav Hounds

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Grav Hounds

Post by Maegdae » Tue 08.07.2003, 04:30

The grav hounds have gotten organized!  They do mock me.

First situation:  I get a horde of grav hounds summoned on me by a death knight.  Insta knockout, warp away with 50 hp or so left with 700 or so max.  

Second situation, I am killing Ar-Pharazon when he decides to summon gravs... insta knockout.. he teleports me away as a 0.  This time I had over 900 hp!

Two such close shaves? Both in a time periods of a few playing sessions?  THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!

The gravity hounds have obviously gained complete reasoning abilities, and are mocking us!  There is only one solution*.  We must all band together.   Kill gravity hounds on sight!  Scum levels w/ESP looking for gravity hounds!  Hunt them down!  Exterminate them!  DON'T LET A SINGLE ONE LIVE!  In fact, I offer a 50k bounty for killing a gravity hound pack**!

* Well, there IS another solution, but mass murdering gravity hounds is much cooler than getting resist sound.

** Note:  I must see the whole thing w/ ESP.   It must be done in a large room without GOI activated.  The hounds must all have LOS of the player at all times, and must be killed in melee.  The hound pack must contain 50 or more gravity hounds.  
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Varguar
Nasty Little Gnome

Re: Grav Hounds

Post by Varguar » Fri 11.07.2003, 04:03

Heh I knew that all that gold I was paying Farmer Maggot to train the hounds was gonna pay off before to long.  Good doggies Good doggies.  Now if only I could get them to chew on your slippers instead of mine........ ;)

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Tue 15.07.2003, 01:51

I shoulda known the hounds were your making!
But how did you know when to have bigjuan hax0r the server and make uncontrollable lag?

Couldn't be my connection.. bandwidth tests often say i'm more than 20 kilobits a second.  
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Tue 15.07.2003, 07:52

I believe your bandwidth connection metrics are lying, since you can't realistically exceed 6KBytes/second on a 56k modem for binary data, even under optimal line conditions. (1 byte = 10 bits by modem, or 8 bits plus 2 stop/parity/whatever else bits.) If you're just only sometimes hitting 20KBits/sec, you're getting ripped off by your ISP and/or phone company. Complain about the quality of your service, because you SHOULD be able to hit 38-40 kbits/second on a regular basis. If said bandwidth tests are sending long strings of zeros or repeating patterns (which compress VERY well) they might be entirely misleading... you might want to download a special 1MByte bandwidth test file from somewhere in the continental US and measure the time that transfer takes. Then divide 1024 by the total number of seconds, and you'll have your average speed downloading the file. No idea where you can find one of those, but they do exist. I have measured typical and atypical bandwidth usages of a stock Windows MAngband client, and it tends to peak at 6KBytes/sec or a little over 2KBytes more than your modem should be able to handle.

Anyone want to rewrite the MAngband network code? (See my post in the general development forum if you are interested, there's a link to some useful info there.)
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Tue 15.07.2003, 15:13

I *CAN* get 40k.  But i'm on a home network, so when somebody else gets on it I get 20k,  BITS.  Hopefully we'll use something better soon :-)
Version 3.12

SpaceHunter
Human Zombie

Post by SpaceHunter » Thu 17.07.2003, 04:12

Maybe there should be a resistance to gravity? so u wont get slowed down or something ??? and Varguar stop paying Farmer Maggot to train gravity hounds, i have been paying him to train Chaos hounds, and well, he isnt doing a good job  >:( i called him, just to find him getting torn apart by your Gravity hounds!
In this world you seem to have it all, you seem to have control, but deep within your soul, you're loosing it all.
A4X

Rali.

Post by Rali. » Sun 12.10.2003, 21:02

It might have just been on pern, but I remember having Feather Falling also function to resist gravity.

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Post by Avenger » Mon 20.10.2003, 12:56

Feather falling actually does provide res gravity.  It was in corporated in an earlier version of mangband.  And I have been paying Maggot to train time and Plasma hounds.