Is there any interest in another public server?

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
UnidentifiedCoward
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Is there any interest in another public server?

Post by UnidentifiedCoward » Mon 15.01.2007, 02:32

Granted, I have not downloaded anything yet....  But I was wondering if the community is active enough to support a new server, if a new server would be appreciated or
even wanted.  I have a collocated 10Mb/s burstable to 100Mb/s literally idle doing nothing.  I have, love, and actively play Zangband and have played rogue like games for ages.  The idea of playing with others sounds awesome.  

So back to my original question, does the world need
another Mangband server?  What are the reqs?  Are there any server docs, especially docs or a list of settings or maintenance processes that are considered mandatory, essential, vanilla?  What ancillary services are vital?  Is there custom code, I just have to run?

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Re: Is there any interest in another public server

Post by Fink » Mon 15.01.2007, 03:23

I think we still are at a point where we need more players, and not necessarily more servers.

But! There is still room to put your bandwidth to use.

Keep in mind that MAngband, in its vanilla sense, tends to be a moderately medium/long-term affair: people playing vanilla will hope that the server instance will be around for quite some, so that their characters that they have invested time in will persist. So, from the standpoint of running vanilla (which, as mentioned, I'm not sure that we yet need another server of just yet), comitting to year-long stretches of a persisting server would probably be a safe minimum to consider.

However, there are other things that might be better to test the water with: one that comes to mind is Jug's IronMAngband variant. This is a variant that acts as an "ironman mode" variant, in which the player can only die once, and in which there is no recalling to town or using up-stairs: its a battle to see how long you can stay alive as you dive (with special dungeon towns every 1000 feet).

This lends itself to shorter periods of play (a player would be happy to have their character last a week, versus expecting their character to persist for a year or more in vanilla). So, maybe this kind of thing might be worth considering.

Generally speaking, replicating a vanilla server may not be the best use of your time and efforts. So, if you want to consider putting up a server, give a peek over the modifications and variants that people have put some time into that would let you toss your bandwidth into the fray and still avoid duplicating effort.

-fink

UnidentifiedCoward
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Post by UnidentifiedCoward » Mon 15.01.2007, 12:45

Thanks for your  feedback.  I have been running game servers on and off for the better part of several years.  I have the spare hardware and the spare resources and a year long commitment does not even make me blink or balk.  

That said, it appears there is not really much need at this time which is a shame, I was hoping to help.  Guess I will just fire up CS-S and wait for the community here to grow large enough to support another server :)

I will check back to see what needs doing.  Maybe somebody can think of something for me to help with.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Wed 24.01.2007, 19:19

Well, I can think of two things you can do:

Get the word out, and get on the server and start killing nasties! Morgoth awaits!

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Thu 25.01.2007, 01:09

Yeah, I am sorry my loyalty to mAngband has wavered! I have had an affair with Lineage 2 Chronicle.

I don't recommend it! It takes so much longer to get anywhere... I like the instant recall to depth in Mangband. Nothing much good about the game except the looks. It is distracting to have all the fanciness! I may return to Mangband soon! I can get my next grade in armor :-P. Only good thing about L2 is amount of people. I like people! PvP rules are sweet. if you don't retaliate then the player becomes PK status and will be killed on site by any guards or people who like protecting Newbies.

mAngband in essence is the best I have seen in RPG game play thrill. That said, I do wish mAngband had more people involved. Lineage has over 1000 on average. Many people to meet and play with! The lineage server  I played on is a dedicated private server run by donation. I will start telling people about Mangband... Everyone I have talked to has declined because of the graphics limitation of Mang. I will try more people at school!  :-/ :-X :-[ :P

PS*Good to see you increase in status Fink! See you arround! I will start up mIRC.