Attention needed at the Wikipedia entry

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Berendol
Evil Iggy

Attention needed at the Wikipedia entry

Post by Berendol » Mon 23.04.2007, 03:18

Apparently, there is some question as to MAngband's "notability" according to Wikipedia. Anyone care to help out here??

The link for your convenience... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAngband

11+ years of play by thousands of players might be worth mentioning, as would being the first multiplayer Angband, and having had Amiga and OS/2 support in the past should be notable as well.

We're linked by all of the roguelike sites, and many others. These are the variants, in various forms and variances from the code base, roughly in the order I recall them existing: Vanilla MAngband; C-Blue's old DLMangband; TomeNET; BMAngband; Cheezband; Easy-High-Speed; Ironman; PWMangband; and others I know I've forgotten.

I know I've seen scholarly papers where MAngband was ported to IPv6. That should fulfill part of the documentation requirement.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Kusma
Scruffy-Looking Hobbit

Re: Attention needed at the Wikipedia entry

Post by Kusma » Wed 25.04.2007, 15:10

The basic "notability" rule on Wikipedia is that topics are considered "notable" (the Wikipediaspeak version of "acceptable for inclusion") if there exist multiple non-trivial reliable sources about the topic. If some of the statements in the article can be attributed to outside sources (game reviews etc.) that are independent of the game website, it should survive a deletion debate; if no such sources are added, the outcome is not clear (I would expect "merge and redirect to "Angband").

Unfortunately Wikipedia has lots of rules that are designed to keep advertising, crank theories, and libelous statements about living people out that lead to standards that are unreasonably high when it comes to things such as webcomics or roguelikes. (Even the term "roguelike" was considered for deletion, but that was defeated, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... /Roguelike). So again, if anybody knows of articles anywhere that mention Mangband, please note them at the Wikipedia article or its talk page.