HPs at level 50

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
PowerWyrm
Balrog

HPs at level 50

Post by PowerWyrm » Fri 15.06.2007, 16:25

Something that is striking me... whatever race/class combination you choose, you end up with roughly the same HPs at level 50.
Testing with the admin char on my server:
- highest HP dice available (ent warrior, 14+9=23 HPs at level 1): 1263 HPs at level 50
- lowest HP dice available (yeek sorceror, 6+0=6 HPs at level 1): 827 HPs at level 50
Most of the common combinations end up with 1000-1100 HPS...

Billsey
King Vampire

Re: HPs at level 50

Post by Billsey » Fri 15.06.2007, 20:28

Isn't that somewhat dependent on when you get CON boosts? Ie., that early high CON means you'll get more points added at each change in level? I suppose I should look at that code rather than making an assumption though... 8-)
Mangband Project Team Member

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: HPs at level 50

Post by Berendol » Fri 15.06.2007, 21:45

You could whip up a test case calculator in your favorite RAD tool or spreadsheet, or even as a CGI script. Just yank the formulas from the code. Heck, that's a good way to do any kind of balancing.

I too noted that most endgame characters were roughly the same in terms of various health attributes. The largest differences in playability might in fact come from the classes' heaviest wieldable armor and weaponry, and magical bonuses.

Changing this stuff is kind of a push-pull process if you want a balanced game. You have to give some bonus somewhere if you take away HP, or take away another advantage if you grant more HP.

It might be fun to have classes become much more different, not only in terms of HP but other things as well, and force their players to adopt certain techniques and play styles such that there isn't a one-size-fits-all class. (Well, you could have one that's mediocre all around for newbies to play with.) That's a big part of what I was doing with all the class customization in BMAngband. I'd begun to take it another step further, and gave races different advantages, but I hadn't given them any more disadvantages.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)