Angband 3.0.8 is out

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Angband 3.0.8 is out

Post by Fink » Sat 14.07.2007, 23:02

Our parent has just released 3.0.8, and the list of changes makes for some interesting reading.

Here's a few tidbits quoted from the changelist:
  • Mouse support a la FAangband added, but nowhere near as advanced or useful.  Most of the menus you encounter can be selected using the mouse now, as well as using keypresses.  Clicking somewhere on the map will now "walk" there, within certain constraints.  It's a tad
    bizarre in the town, but seems to work OK otherwise.
  • Sangband-style object handling, which makes it much easier to sift through things in the dungeon.
  • Two kinds of ego-light added.
  • Lights now don't use fuel in the daylight in the town.
  • Amnesia (the monster attack) is now a timed effect (a la confusion), and has makes you forget how to read scrolls/pray/cast spells one time in two.
  • Allow weapons and armour to be damaged instead of destroyed by inventory damage effects, thus making swap weapons more viable.
  • Arrow keys are now distinct from the numeric movement keys, and because of this you can now edit text at prompts in game properly.
  • A powerful generic menu interface has been added and used throughout the code.  It reduces code duplication and makes it much much easier to create menus in various styles; e.g. scrolling or multicolumn

Flambard
King Vampire

Re: Angband 3.0.8 is out

Post by Flambard » Sat 14.07.2007, 23:33

wow ANgband is becoming more and more different with each release

- Nuked a lot of old ports: cap, lsl, sla, xpj, ibm, dos, vcs, lfb, ami,
 emx, vme.

I say it's a sign for us to do the same :)

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Sun 15.07.2007, 13:27

I've been playing the RCs off and on for a few weeks. It's pretty nice with the new menu system and all.

I did away with the most useless ports in the current version of my variant, when I put in the new build system. I recommend updating the build system as well.

We should copy the new fuel economy in town idea.

Hey, they used my ego lights idea! Although I may not have been the only one to invent them... (Remember Great Lanterns of Dwarvenkind?) This means I can rip out that old broken code and make my ego light idea work properly. Now, if only we could do ego jewelry, like rings and amulets, then we could move things around to the point where they make more sense coding-wise.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sun 15.07.2007, 14:06

Ah, Berendol already linked to a changelist for the prerelease version for 3.0.8 some time back, to angband.oook.cz. They've got a forum up there now, so a good chunk of the newgroup discussions are starting to take place there instead.