mangband.org item prices

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

mangband.org item prices

Post by Fink » Sat 13.01.2007, 20:08

I've been finding lately that my sense of what is proper for a player-to-player price for different items is beginning to change. This has been inspired by Warrior's posts on the topic.

I'd like to see what other peeps feel is appropriate as general prices for the stuff we commonly sell to one another. Discuss below, and if we come up with anything, I'll add a note of what we come up with to the list below.  Use the "quote" forum feature to keep things clear which item you are talking about when you respond to someone. I know that the variety of quality makes things vague, but even a general guideline or baseline would be useful.

The more common items:
  • Magi amulets with assorted res
  • Bronze DSM
  • Chaos DSM
  • Balance DSM
  • Boots of Mirkwood
  • Headgear of ESP
  • Westernesse weapons
  • Holy Avenger weapons  HA
  • Defender Weapons
  • Extra Attack Weapons  EA
  • Rings of Speed  RoS
  • Boots of Speed  BoS
  • Book 9's: Wrath of God / Raal's Tome of Destruction  WoG / Raal's
  • Ranged weapons of Numenor (regen)
mangband.org server only

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Re: mangband.org item prices

Post by Fink » Sat 13.01.2007, 20:14

I'll kick it off with the topic of Rings of Speed - RoS:

I think we all agree that a RoS +10 is player-valued at one million. How about for rings with speed values above that?

I've done, in the past, 200k for each point above 10, up to a point (ie, RoS 13 or 14 is a whole different realm of rarety). I think I don't like this much anymore. I was thinking maybe:

+11 - 1.2 million
+12 - 1.5 million
+13 - 2.0 million

14 and above is self-evidently rare, so sky's the limit there as per the situation. Personally, I dont think I'd ever actually sell a 14 - trade only.

What say ye? If you want to respond to this Ring of Speed bit, use the "quote" button so it's clear you are continuing a discussion on this particular topic.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sat 13.01.2007, 20:26

And how about Balance DSM.

Warrior, in his post on item valuation, listed Balance DSM as perhaps being valued at one million. Although people at the bottom tend to accumulate a reasonable collection of them after a while, I admit that I rather like the price of a million as being a standard: for most people, it's the armor they will be wearing for the duration of their character once they get one. So, whereas in the past, I would sell these for significantly less, I admit that I kind of like the price of a million as a baseline for an average/normal Balance.

Whatayathink? Again, use the "quote" button if you want to respond to this particular post on Balance DSM.

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Mon 15.01.2007, 17:29

[quote author=Fink link=board=traders;num=1168740486;start=0#1 date=01/13/07 at 20:14:28]I'll kick it off with the topic of Rings of Speed - RoS:

I think we all agree that a RoS +10 is player-valued at one million. How about for rings with speed values above that?

I've done, in the past, 200k for each point above 10, up to a point (ie, RoS 13 or 14 is a whole different realm of rarety). I think I don't like this much anymore. I was thinking maybe:

+11 - 1.2 million
+12 - 1.5 million
+13 - 2.0 million

14 and above is self-evidently rare, so sky's the limit there as per the situation. Personally, I dont think I'd ever actually sell a 14 - trade only.

What say ye? If you want to respond to this Ring of Speed bit, use the "quote" button so it's clear you are continuing a discussion on this particular topic.
[/quote]
I've been selling RoS for:

+9 750.000
+10 1M
+11 2M
+12 3M5
+13 5M5
+14 don't sell but value it from 10M+

I think that roughly represents their rarity/power.

Like I just said to Oldyzs, selling a +10 is a "service" like selling balance DSM and all the other stuff thats really hard to live without. Buying things that are higher than that should be considered a bonus. Plus, later on people will not care if they spend another million or two on a slightly better ring. Leave the fine tuning to the end-game.

Sometimes I might give high level characters a discount, (maybe they've died/been unlucky), while I sometimes might ask extra from a low level character who is not "supposed" to have a really powerful item at his current char level. It's rarely more than 10 or 20% less/more than standard.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Mon 15.01.2007, 18:41

[quote author=Fink link=board=traders;num=1168740486;start=0#2 date=01/13/07 at 20:26:14]And how about Balance DSM.

Warrior, in his post on item valuation, listed Balance DSM as perhaps being valued at one million. Although people at the bottom tend to accumulate a reasonable collection of them after a while, I admit that I rather like the price of a million as being a standard: for most people, it's the armor they will be wearing for the duration of their character once they get one. So, whereas in the past, I would sell these for significantly less, I admit that I kind of like the price of a million as a baseline for an average/normal Balance.

Whatayathink? Again, use the "quote" button if you want to respond to this particular post on Balance DSM.[/quote]

yes, 1M is a good price for all Balance DSM up to 30,+15

After that, it's much the same as it is with the speed rings, higher plusses is a bonus and not a service, if you want extra AC you should pay for it.

Me and Angus agree that from +15 every point costs 1M.

So,

30,+15 1M
30,+16 2M
30,+17 3M
30,+18 4M and so on.

Sometimes, if I don't have any cheap Balance DSM's around I may give large'ish discounts, sometimes asking only 500k each point of AC.

For Chaos DSM and Law DSM I do the same, but their base price is 200k. Then add 100k each point of AC.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Mon 15.01.2007, 20:25

[quote author=Warrior link=board=traders;num=1168740486;start=0#3 date=01/15/07 at 17:29:37]
I've been selling RoS for:

+9 750.000
+10 1M
+11 2M
+12 3M5
+13 5M5
+14 don't sell but value it from 10M+

I think that roughly represents their rarity/power.

Like I just said to Oldyzs, selling a +10 is a "service" like selling balance DSM and all the other stuff thats really hard to live without. Buying things that are higher than that should be considered a bonus. Plus, later on people will not care if they spend another million or two on a slightly better ring. Leave the fine tuning to the end-game.

Sometimes I might give high level characters a discount, (maybe they've died/been unlucky), while I sometimes might ask extra from a low level character who is not "supposed" to have a really powerful item at his current char level. It's rarely more than 10 or 20% less/more than standard. [/quote]

I like this. Let's merge it with the existing convention of 100k per point up to/including 10 (ie, +8 RoS = 800k).

After thinking about it, the greater-than 10 prices do make sense. That we even sell +10's for a million is a bit of a bonus - the average player who hangs at 2k for a bit can scrounge up that kind of loot, thus putting a relatively rare and deep item within reach long before the appropriate dungeon level is hit. After that "bonus" price range, it's all over: if you want a +12, you'll need to be at around the appropriate depth to get the cash to afford one.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Thu 25.01.2007, 02:06

Sometimes I might give high level characters a discount, (maybe they've died/been unlucky), while I sometimes might ask extra from a low level character who is not "supposed" to have a really powerful item at his current char level. It's rarely more than 10 or 20% less/more than standard.
I just want to make sure the trade aspect of the game is left open. I find that most attractive in MP RPG's!

Do not cut high level's slack! If anything make them pay BM price at 4 X regular. If they die and lose houses yes I can see that charity would be ok up to their total exp value. (INSIDE JOKE) Houses and keys? :D

As a low level newb, I would lose interest if the prices were increased too much! The game is hard enough as it is! I do agree with most of Warriors thoughts on that matter, though!

Market should fluctuate according to availability and demand of a product. We should allow this natural course of action to take effect!

What we want to address is the minimum price! Right now it is determined by store prices and until those are changed that is our determiner! Balance is the key! If you try too hard for balance often it only balances your personal aspect which throws it off for some other unapparent aspect. Keep it challenging but don't make too many rules. Rules where only ever made to protect not to limit. If it protects the overall game play then implement it!

I hope that is a rational response!

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Thu 25.01.2007, 11:19

Ultimately it comes down to what people are willing to pay. You might get away with jacking up prices for a little while. (Which may or may not be the case, I'm not passing judgment here.) Remember that if you do oversell, you're creating an opportunity for somebody else to undercut your prices and steal all your customers away.

[quote author=Bombadil link=board=traders;num=1168740486;start=0#6 date=01/25/07 at 02:06:37]
Balance is the key! If you try too hard for balance often it only balances your personal aspect which throws it off for some other unapparent aspect. Keep it challenging but don't make too many rules. Rules where only ever made to protect not to limit. If it protects the overall game play then implement it![/quote]

You have a Point {excellent}
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sat 27.01.2007, 21:31

Balance is one of the hardest aspects to execute in creating a society. Always keeping the big picture in mind is my inclination. If I can help others see the big picture, I feel that is my largest contribution to this particular society. I hope this helps the decision making...

If I can be a little more specific! I suppose that would help too! I will keep the thread rolling...

Should Magi's differ in price depending on their resistance?
Magi amulets with assorted res
-Nether, Blindness, Poison,  
These seem to be the most needed and sought after, but most people don't charge any extra for them that I know of.

In some cases I have traded two of lesser for one of greater. But importance differs for each class and armour arrangement. Any ideas on these amulets and other resistance items?