Another, Just curious-post:

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Kime1R
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Re: Another, Just curious-post:

Post by Kime1R » Fri 02.05.2003, 16:14

I'm college-aged in NY.  I started out with roguelike games playing Moria back in middle school.  In high school, I was introduced to Angband, I also played ZAng for a while.  I just started playing MAng about a week ago.

Data

Post by Data » Sun 04.05.2003, 14:54

Hi,

I’m 28, dwell in germany and am working on my PHD. My first roguelikelike experience was diablo (and I enjoyed it a lot till cheating ruined my game experience). I love Pen and Paper and computer RPGs (even those Hack-and-Slay-and-get-better-items-Games, which actually don’t deserve to be called RPG [there is no role playing at all]).  

Fortunately, I discovered these astonishing small and complex games … the ancestor of most modern RPGs I think. I started with Angband, then switched to Zangband and about 2 weeks ago I started playing Mangband. Although I think items could have more attributes (more variation) and in general I’d welcome more complexity/choice in character development, I don’t miss the “good” graphics of commercial games. I think I’m gonna stay at Mangband for a while if real life allows me to waste my time with you.

My only living char is MiyamotoMusashi a Dunadan (shouldn’t it be spelled Dunadain?) warrior. Miyamoto is a skilled Samurai which traveled from the past (16. century) of a small unimportant ignoreable planet called Earth in order to find a true challenging adversary. He should not give you a reason to PK him. My first char, Data, died, when I tried this j thing on goner *g.        

My english is not very good, so be patient with me…CU in Rohan

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Tue 06.05.2003, 04:33

Can you get this on the X-box?

Or any other games console?

(I hope not - that would be even more time gone)

Herbert
Clear Yeek

Post by Herbert » Tue 06.05.2003, 06:04

Hi all ;-)
I'm probably the most alien of all... I'm in Africa !
Actually I'm french, working in Dakar (Senegal) and I'm 28.
Hopefully Dakar is on the edge of the continent with optic fiber to Europe, so it's only 250ms to get to rohnan
My 1st RPG was Dungeon Master (on atari, then on PC). I have chased Lord Chaos so much time that i know the dungeon by heart... Lot's of developement has been done with this game, it's ported on many platforms, there's a java version, there's a dungeon editor, a 3D version on-progress, and even a Saturn Console version.
I'm pretty sure that the random level generator of Angband coupled to the graphic engine of DM could make something interesting....
Have fun.
Herbert

Per Sindre

Post by Per Sindre » Fri 09.05.2003, 03:22

I don't really remember my first RPG, but it was something on my amiga 500 :> Hehe, I've had a hard time recruting players to this game aswell ;) Actually, I've had problems recruting people to most games I like.   >:( If anyone of you are missing your Amiga as much as I do I would reccomend checking out http://www.back2roots.org =) And if you like good old high-quality games, check out http://www.theunderdogs.org :) I haven't been playing MAngband for a while now ;/ Discovered http://www.darkages.com :> Haven't played anything else since I did :p

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Fri 09.05.2003, 12:42

Bleah.  I can't believe I'm bored enough at work to type this out.

I'm 27, live in Eugene, OR along with Varguar and Domino.

I like playing all kinds of games...it just depends on what my mood is at the time...but if it's an online game, it MUST be PvP...if I can't kill someone, why play?
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Varguar
Nasty Little Gnome

Post by Varguar » Mon 12.05.2003, 01:37

Bleh Big_juan_the_overrated_noobie! is always bored at werk.

Im old! live in eugene Or and will pay good AU to someone if they will killor my x-wife!

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Fri 03.08.2007, 07:53

There's probably been thousands of people playing MAngband through the years... (Or must be pretty close to a thousand at least?)

It'd be cool to know more about all those. So I've added a few points to the list.
  • 1. Where do you live?
  • 2. How old are you?
  • 3. How long have you been playing MAngband?
  • 4. Whats your roguelike background?
  • 5. How did you find MAngband?
  • 6. What are the names of your characters?
  • 7. What is your favorite race/class
  • 1: Oslo, Norway.
  • 2: 29.
  • 3: About 10 years. Been here a looong time.
  • 4: Started with Moria on the Amiga when I was 12-13. Won with a paladin. Then on to Angband and Rogue.
  • 5: Back in 94 or 95 I found Angband while surfing on the totally new internet at our school. Then a friend of mine found MAngband in early 97 IIRC.
  • 6: My main name is Warrior, but the character I play on mangband.org these days is called Zaphod. I'm also known as Diver, Divah, Slayer, Tyrant, Blood, Test5, Genoguy, Mage, Murazor, Old... though most of those are very old names.
  • 7: It used to be Half-orc Warrior (Because Hao played that :)) But then as I came to my senses I started playing Dunadan Warriors instead. Thats the way to go!
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Fri 03.08.2007, 12:22

[quote author=Warrior link=board=p2pgeneral;num=1036197480;start=15#22 date=08/03/07 at 07:53:26]
  • 1. Where do you live?
  • 2. How old are you?
  • 3. How long have you been playing MAngband?
  • 4. Whats your roguelike background?
  • 5. How did you find MAngband?
  • 6. What are the names of your characters?
  • 7. What is your favorite race/class
[/quote]
  • 1: Oregon, both at the coast and east end of the gorge, USA.
  • 2: 51.
  • 3: 10+ years, with a loong hiatus in the middle.
  • 4: Started with Rogue on XENIX and something who's name I can't remember on the C=64, played most of the roguelikes on Amigas, switched to PCs in the late 90s.
  • 5: I was active in the Angband newsgroups when Mangband was first started.
  • 6: I play Billsey.
  • 7: I play Half-Elf Rangers almost exclusively, though with Angband I tended more toward Dunadan Paladins.
Mangband Project Team Member