Another, Just curious-post:

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Per_Killer
Orc Zombie

Another, Just curious-post:

Post by Per_Killer » Fri 01.11.2002, 19:37

I'm wondering about where you live, how old you are, and what genre you are... Wanna know who plays it ;) And how long have you been playing it?

arfer
Black Yeek

Re: Another, Just curious-post:

Post by arfer » Fri 01.11.2002, 22:24

... sounds like a #teenchat channel!... hehe

22, Toronto (Canada), and playing sporadically for about a year (though never getting anywhere far).

- arfer

Froof
Berzerker

Post by Froof » Sat 02.11.2002, 11:13

I'm 22 in Georgia, been playing for a few weeks.  I had played on Tomenet back when it was still Pern, but that was like over a year ago.  I still haven't gotten very far either :-)

Per_Killer
Orc Zombie

Post by Per_Killer » Sat 02.11.2002, 12:02

http://www.teenchat.mangband.org =) Heh, well, I'm 17 (18 in 10 days, YAY!) I played NetHack, rogue, games like that back in the day, but only a couple of months with MAngband =) I think my first char got to lvl 15 or something, when the server got its reset ;)

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Mon 04.11.2002, 02:38

I'm 28, Male and I live in Eugene, Oregon.  I've been playing Mangband off and on for about 3.5 or 4 years and I've so far won with 2 characters: Domino (Mage) and Angus (Paladin).
King of the Hill Baby!

Swotl
Blubbering Idiot

Post by Swotl » Sun 10.11.2002, 19:02

I'm 25, from Germany.

Swotl

Bobert
Hobgoblin

Post by Bobert » Sun 10.11.2002, 21:31

I'm 18 in Calgary, Canada.

I played Moria when I was younger.  I've played Angband, Zangband, Pernanband, Tome, Nethack, Eyangband, and I've dabbled in a few others.  I have never won (without cheating).

Volrak
Seedy Looking Human

Post by Volrak » Tue 12.11.2002, 03:19

23, M, Australia.
Been playing only for a few weeks.  I've played Zangband, ADOM, Rogue.  The thing i enjoy about Mangband is being able to party with friends and going hunting together.

It's also different becausesave-scumming isn't possible.. i would always use it where it was available because i didn't want to spend time getting back to where i was again.  I guess i played those games to finish them, i play this to have fun with other people.

Siobhan
Blubbering Idiot

Post by Siobhan » Tue 12.11.2002, 16:01

21, F, Indiana

Just started playing the same time Volrak did. First time I have really played any game of this type. I am still learning a lot  ;)

Xoreality
Mean-Looking Mercenary

Post by Xoreality » Thu 14.11.2002, 03:46

Been playing for a few months now. I'm further along now than before the reset.
I'm 21, M and live in New Zealand.
Mangband is one of the best games I have ever played and probably the one I have spent the most hours on out of any.

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Tue 26.11.2002, 19:23

415, of the eighth traditional gender of M'Odah. Just kidding. I'm 19/M, from my home state of MA a few lazy weeks of the year and Rochester, NY (RIT) most of the time for school. I have played it from CT, too. Wow, I'm a geek.

Hmm..experience.. I've played them all. From stuff like Rogue, Larn, Hack, Nethack, Moria, UMoria, Vanilla Angband and about 30 of its variants (my favorite is Tome, and I remember the first version of Pern), ToMENET,  and Mangband. I'm also a somewhat inactive of late participant of the ToME/ToMENET mailing lists. Also I wrote my own utilities to read the Angband data files - the only released one being AMPFI, which is now discontinued in favor of my next project. And I've written a few of my own roguelike games in several languages, none of which ever was completed.

I have one big shortcoming with respect to Angband though. What is going on inside the Angband code??? I just can't follow much of it... possibly due to the apparent lack of structure, or the ever-changing variable naming and referencing scheme. Someone needs to draw a map of that code or rewrite it. I'd volunteer but I don't have that much time when I'm in school.

By the way... does anyone remember Stone Mist?

My younger brother (older of the two, and I have no other siblings) got me into Mangband, after I got him into Moria and spent the next 2 years trying to convince him that Angband was better. You all know him.. maybe he'll identify himself someday. Until he does I will deny our relation :) Perhaps older players may remember my old characters VilliJiddiIt/WasteOTime also. WasteOTime being a half-troll mage type with abysmal statistics.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Steel Dragon

Post by Steel Dragon » Wed 29.01.2003, 17:42

I am 21 from CT but go to college at RIT like Berendol and several other mangband players that me and berendol have recruited.  I have been playing for about 3 weeks and am up to lvl 34 hobbit thanks to having berendol as a personal mangband trainer (I must be driving him crazy with all the questions I ask him)

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Thu 30.01.2003, 01:55

No kidding, dude... I live with the guy, and my greeting at the door is always "Hey guess what I found on Mangband today!" That lucky bum has found more good stuff in his first month than I've found the whole time I've been playing.. like 4 artifacts, and literally millions worth of rare items! Geez! Anyhow, I kinda like it, it gives me something to do when the other guys aren't over playin Worms World Party or Super Smash Bros Melee or whatever else. I recommend anyone to get some friends involved in the game - don't go it alone! PS, I now understand the code a whole heck of a lot better... making some truly evil stuff possible in the future :)
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Thu 30.01.2003, 16:26

I've tried to get some people to play MAngband, but none of them really played it for long. My favorite response to MAngband was "why don't u play a real game like ............... diablo or something"

The graphics seem to make it boring for the less open-minded gamers. However, I completely agree with the statement "Beneath the simple graphics can lie worlds of complexity seldom to be found in other games."

Froof
Berzerker

Post by Froof » Tue 04.02.2003, 13:32

Yah, I know what you mean, Ashi.  I usually get a 'That's a dumb name for a game; why would I play that?' or 'Where are the graphics?'  Hell, my roommate who introduced me to the game a couple years back gets irked when he sees me playing it.  He always say something like 'You're playing _that_ on your new box?  And we have DSL, you could be playing AO like me!'.  Some people, I swear.