Kull

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Berendol
Evil Iggy

Kull

Post by Berendol » Wed 17.01.2007, 01:58

The 18-year-old Kull has some new characters. Just thought I'd point that out and tell you some ways to spot him.

How to Spot a New Kull:
* Look for BCLIENT_USER@ some shortish computer name with a's and numbers. Of course, he may change it, so this won't make much sense later.
* Look for random nonsensical gibberish in the chat channel, usually a weak attempt at obscenity (which may offend a ten-year-old, so look out if you're ten) ... he's looking for a response, apparently, but can be bored if you won't give him the one he wants
* Random and repeated, senseless kills of people who are just playing
* Taunting about your damage per round, or rounds taken to kill him, or whatever
* Longish names
* Kills in town and takes choice pieces of gear
* General insults against the game, such as "worthless" and "waste of time". Most other people would just quit, but apparently he's got nothing better to do. (That's a paraphrase.)

Also, a few of us have repeatedly killed them and I suggest you all do the same.

Mamas, don't let your kids grow up to be Kulls.

If you are Kull, I have a message: There are many free counseling services that can help you with your depression and insecurity. There is no need to take it out on innocent bystanders. The players' response, killing your characters, is merely a reaction to your actions, which could have been avoided had you kept your hostile switch off. Also, doing some good, hard work at a full time job will cure you of your boredom and endless hours of free time AND give you some satisfaction for your accomplishments... I'd suggest taking some more time off from the game and turning over a new leaf.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Huma
Giant House Fly

Re: Kull

Post by Huma » Thu 18.01.2007, 11:31

;D Here Here and AMEN!!!

Oldyzs
Black Yeek

Post by Oldyzs » Thu 18.01.2007, 11:39

Opps sorry thought I was logged on not Huma....
:-/

;D  but we both have the same opinion I'm sure when it concerns the whole "Kull ...the A-hole" subject! PKing him is not wrong.. it is the obligation we have to each other to free Mangband of this scurge!!!!

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Fri 19.01.2007, 19:54

Well, it's great that you guys want to kill him in game and all, but I would honestly prefer if he found something else to do. That frees us all up to just enjoy playing the game.

Let's not turn into a team of PKers, though. Remember that we hate it when other people do it to us.

And let's keep what happens on one server, on one server, and definitely not take it outside our computers.

Oldyzs
Black Yeek

Post by Oldyzs » Sun 21.01.2007, 08:07

::) I don't "WANT" to kill him, but have seen and heard about his inability to, be it intellectual, psychological, or physical  ;), play without being a arse to other players. Sooo...I am not supporting PKing, in fact I have only killed another player once and even then was forced to. We all want and wish that Kull would willingly ride off in the sunset and find something to do, but why would he when he seems to really enjoy being a pain in the butt??

Proper motivation is the key and apparently the only thing that motivates Kull is exactly what you stated earlier.

"a few of us have repeatedly killed them and I suggest you all do the same".

I have not seen Kull since that "day or recompence" when he was killed over and over again after antagonizing and Pking others players. It is obvious that Kull can not or does not want to change/stop his own hostile actions!

Unfortunatly it falls on all of us to "motivate" him not to be on this server if he can't "play nice", and sadly PKing him IS the only motivation that has had the desired result.

This last time he could have just played....although we knew who he was "NO ONE" did anything to him. In fact, I even called him Kull to let him know we knew who he was and that he was being watched...Kull was quite impressed and proud that he was recognized so quickly after sooo long. At that time Kull behaved himself as the rest of us "played on eggshells" he seemed to have turned over a new leaf.... but it was too good to be true!! The next day it was just like ole times.

Personally, I feel if we do allow Kull to level up because he is "playing nice" it has a high probability of comin back to haunt us. I really don't see any other option other then PKing Kull with out prejudice!

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sun 21.01.2007, 09:53

I'll add a little to this.

Kull appeared after I left the game in 2003 or so and I kinda missed the beginning of the problem, so when I came back 14-15 months ago I didn't really know or understand the problem well enough.

I just figured people should just pay attention themselves, don't go AFK in town, don't go AFK in the dungeon (OF COURSE NOT) and if someone comes up to you and starts beating you, just log out and log back in as another player and ask for help. If there's any others around they'll help you.

But, this is probably not enough, he has to be killed at sight, fink insisted on this from day one, I kinda did it from day two.

People keep talking about kull's "mad skills" - which is just complete nonsense, if he was good he'd level his character enough to actually do some damage to the community.

One could argue that when he hangs around a lot and kills newbie level 1's repeatedly he definitely does the biggest damage possible by scaring players away from the game, but he's still very easy to get rid of. When he was in his mid/high 20's he did a lot of damage to larger characters too and we definitely want to avoid that happening again.

So, just...

kill and kill again.

(from the song "kill again" by Slayer).
;D
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Sun 21.01.2007, 22:38

Yeah, definitely don't AFK in town. Just log out. Anyone for a server feature that logs chat to a website?

I watched Steel get PKed by Kull when he was at least five levels higher than Kull, and he wasn't AFK. We were doing business in town between dives and all the sudden, ball spells and confusion stuff starts hitting Steel and I logged for a couple minutes. (Reflexes obtained years ago, c/o Bigjuan and/or Angus!)

From the stuff he dropped after Steel signed in another character and totally obliterated the guy, we learned this: He had a big stack of monster confusion scrolls. So, he's got some kind of macro. Also, he's getting occasional excellents from somewhere. I suppose that's from PKing. All of these add up to what is probably misinterpreted as "skill"... it's not really skill so much as his avatar's annoying powered-up combat ability which allows him to take on players five or seven levels higher.

But you know what was funny about that day? He was laughing at how a level-15 Huma was taking three blows to kill him, and it turned out that Huma had no weapon equipped - he was in the middle of doing something to his weapon!

I discovered a very entertaining fact... If you stand adjacent to 4, that is not IN 4, but one of the spaces bordering the entrance to 4 diagonally or otherwise, while hostile to a player - whenever they revive at the temple, you will instantly kill them again :)  Apparently resurrection from the temple takes precedence over PVP combat. Hmm... should we ever change that?