Mangband.org rules.

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Re: Mangband.org rules.

Post by Avenger » Sun 22.02.2004, 13:20

Recently my Level 24 warrior died (to air hounds, for the second time in the past several days).  I was bored with this character, but i liked his equips, so I decided to have my level 16 character inherit it.  The three main items which may be a problem for some people are as follows:
Iron Crown of Telepathy
Armor of Elvenkind (res Chaos)
Gloves of the Istari (resistance unknown)
I only made this transfer because of the circumstances in which i acquired the items in the first place.
I recieved 100k from the person who rescued me after my first death to the hounds. Why he gave me this much money I don't know, but with it i bought the Esp Crown. I recieved the elvenkind from wormtongue several levels before, and i found the Istaris at 300 feet.
All of these items could have been acquired in the same way by my level 16 character.  Crimson was on at the time i made this transfer, but he was apparently afk, so i was unable to ask his opinion in this matter.  If anyone has a problem with this situation, i would be happy to play without the special equipment until i reach level 24 once again.  If anyone has an opinion on this situation, please respond to this post. I don't want to have my character deleted over this.

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Wed 02.02.2005, 06:20

If I promise someone I will rescue them and botch the rescue up badly through my own stupidity, am I allowed to give them gear and/or money to replace what they lost?  

This is a question of "am I allowed", not "am I required".  
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Crimson
King Lich

Post by Crimson » Sun 03.04.2005, 13:35

Note that Player vs PLayer is no longer allowed in town, period.  This would include Polymorph attacks, or attacks of any other kind.  Take it outside.

Crimson
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Thu 14.09.2006, 23:05

Maegdae asked a good question!

"If I promise someone I will rescue them and botch the rescue up badly through my own stupidity, am I allowed to give them gear and/or money to replace what they lost?

This is a question of "am I allowed", not "am I required"."

I would like to know the answer to this, too.

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Fri 15.09.2006, 08:36

You ask for an answer to "Am I allowed to" and obviously I can't answer for Crimson, but I'll give my own version.

When a player dies it is usually because he's done something wrong. Maybe he doesn't have the resistances he needs to be at his depth, maybe he screwed up his macros, maybe he didn't pay enough attention.

Normally when someone dies I'll help them, no matter what the cause of death was.

The player doesn't have to accept my help and if I'm known to take things from rescued players as payment or screw up the rescues he should probably decline and wait for someone else.

However, most powerful players who aren't overly competitive and desperate to be the only player successful will give the player some compensation if he destroys equipment during the rescue. I myself will do this sometimes. Especially if its not the players fault.

If the player died a "silly" death because he played bad I will usually not give him any help beyond maybe giving him a few $ so he can buy basic supplies.

However, if it was a death on recall and I recall down by mistake and end up *destroying* at recall I will definitely reequip him. First of all death on recall is most often impossible to avoid and secondly I shouldn't have recalled there but walked the stairs instead. But this is the only situation where I will always, if I'm able, reequip a player.

If I have to *destruct* to save myself from a situation thats either worse than described or just because there's some bad summons or similar I will usually not reequip a player. This because it's a situation the player would have to deal with anyway, it's the way it goes, RNG rules all.

But if you just *destruct* by mistake I'd sometimes reequip him completely, other times not, if the death was fair and square maybe you should give the player a chance to retire, which is after all an option in the game. If it was a more unfair death, like death on recall or because of severe lag (in which the player shouldn't have played, of course...) I might reequip him.

But - should it be allowed or not?

I personally think if it has to be either or, allow it or not. - It should probably not be allowed, if you die, too bad.

If it was to be allowed there should be a maximum value to it, if someone gets lots of lucky finds at shallow levels (like Avenger did) it shouldn't be a guarantee to let the same player be wealthy and powerful forever.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Wed 31.01.2007, 00:27

I've got four short questions, and a simple request. Hey Crimson?

Q1: What is the policy on trading items between my own characters on mangband.org? For example, I have A and B. A has found, purchased or been given gear (like maybe a nice shield) to give to B for some reason. Is that allowed under any circumstance? (Yes, B could reasonably scum up similar gear at his level.)

Q2: I think I heard a long time ago that more than one character from the same computer is not allowed (no solo parties, etc.) - what is the policy here?

Q3: This might not apply. If the answer to Q1 is Yes, and the answer to Q2 is No, perhaps it would be admissible to allow two simultaneous characters for the sole purpose of gear trading?

Q4: Since ownable houses are pretty much non-existant now, could we create item storage characters to substitute for housing? The game has houses for a reason, but when the houses run out, the rule that mandates a house can't reasonably apply.

Request: Please take a quick look at and update the rules :)

A thought, if multi-chars aren't allowed... perhaps an expensive item (like a Stone of Duplicity or something) that is only generated in stores could be made such that: When held by a character, that character is allowed to bypass the multiple-character rule, but is not allowed to descend into the dungeon, engage in PVP/PVE (and becomes immune to attacks), purchase houses or enter shops. Dropping a Stone would eject all of a player's characters from the server.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Wed 31.01.2007, 12:55

The first bit I think I can answer, as it has come up in the past I believe: separate characters are just that - separate characters. So, it should be a correctly-priced purchase from one to the other.

[s]Your other comments and questions seem to orbit around houses - are there really that few available? I checked some time back, and there still seemed to be a number of houses here and there throughout the out-of-town (in town, of course, being a different deal heh).[/s]

Hmmm. You're right. There really arent many houses left at all.

Jason
Mangy-Looking Leper

Post by Jason » Tue 24.07.2007, 14:21

Alright, I havnt been doing this on the MAngband.org server, but i only realy found this rules forum so far.
On the seymourfamily.org server, I have a created a second charactor for the purpose of shoping.  I did this because there hasnt been anyone else on to friend and to help me out with prices(my charactor is a half troll with 3 chr).  If it were a busier server, I would sell items to players with maxed chr, but since it isnt, i created a high-elf ranger. Keep in mind, that i am not using this charactor for anything that i would not do just as well with a trusted friend.  He is only for shoping and enchanting, and I do have a house that i could be storing the money in just as easily.  Awaiting feedback, Jason

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: Mangband.org rule

Post by Warrior » Wed 25.07.2007, 11:31

This would be against the rules I think. Same with storage/key-characters etc.

This is because... if you are a troll, you're SUPPOSED to be damn ugly! You've got great strength instead! Thats it!

If you wanted to be pretty AND strong you should've played a dunadan or something.

Sometimes I may sell something for another player if we're around the same level. Doesn't happen often though. And I may keep a few coins for doing him the favor. However I think this is different from creating a character yourself in order to "cheat" the fact that your character is ugly.

Jason
Mangy-Looking Leper

Post by Jason » Wed 25.07.2007, 17:10

As i did mention, I do have the space in my house, so its not a key/house charactor in any real way.  What I forgot to mention was that he has been collecting a commision just as u said you have done for other charactors. It is a relativly small comission.  That brings me to another question, Is marketing goods, and prividing sales/purchases services a legitimate method of making money in the game. e.g. the current predicament. A lvl 2 H/E rager has about 10k in goods and gold his own because he has been enchanting and shoping for a Half Troll Warior.  If it were a more populated server, this wouldnt be workable since the rangers chr isnt maxed out, but on the less populated server this does seem like a very likely predicament.  Sorry if I seem argumentative, but saying u sell things for other ppl andd keep a comission on occasion, you did actualy legitimize the action to a point.  
              ,Jason

P.S. Is there a thread for rules on the seymourfamily server, or other non-mangband.org servers,or is this the best place to be asking such questions?

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Wed 25.07.2007, 18:18

Yeah, the key/house character comment was just in case you/others weren't aware of that situation.

As for making money in the game, it's pretty open, as long as you don't sell stuff for LESS than it's shop price you usually won't get into trouble. You can ask as much as you want for any item and you can hoard up on whatever items that may be buyable in the shops and sell them to others for a small or large profit...

Myself I'm buying potions of *Healing* and Life and some other items for much much more than what they sell for in the black market. For a while I also paid good money for wands of stone to mud but don't really do that anymore. Anyway a few people made some very good money from that.

About me selling for other characters that's happened once or twice the last few years, both times on the Ironman server where I sold some items at 2k for another adventurer who was also at 2k. I didn't keep any of the $ then but either way it's not a practice I'm especially fond of and did it just to be nice. And I still think it's a different thing to actually sell for another person and to create a different playing character in order to get away from the fact that you're born a troll. Or whatever. :)

No, the seymourfamily server don't have a forum yet but I'm sure you could just post it in either new players or general discussion for now.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 12.11.2009, 12:27

This post should be made sticky.

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Thu 12.11.2009, 19:11

This is the old rules from the Keys needed for house era. The new rules are already stickied so its not really a problem.