Restricted PK vote.

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Warrior
Evil Iggy

Restricted PK vote.

Post by Warrior » Tue 18.09.2007, 06:52

It seems most people want some kind of restricted pk, here are some options. Please vote for what you think would work best.
  • A:
    No PK in town.

Town should be a safe haven.

• B:
    No PK in town or in wilderness with houses.

Since our current housing solution is likely to change soon, this might not be very relevant

• C:
    No PK in town or in wilderness with houses and no PK of  characters between level 1 and 10.

New players should be safe, however this would probably best be combined with J or similar to deal with low level pk'ers.

• D:
    Like "C" but also no PK if more then 10 levels apart.

A level 30 can kill a level 20.

• E:
    Like "C" but also no PK if more than 5 levels apart.

A level 30 can kill a level 25.

• F:
    Like "C" but also no PK if more than 2 levels apart.

A level 30 can kill a level 28.

• G:
    Like "C" but also no PK if not same character level.

A level 30 can only kill another level 30.

• H:
    Like "B" with a Duel Mode. (new option 7 in party menu).

Two players must enter the other's name in order to be able to damage one another.

• I:
    Like "B" with a Duel Safe Mode. (new option 8 in party menu).

Killing blow does not kill target. Instead they are teleported away/recalled to town/other).

• J:
    Player 'Admin'

Allow an individual trusted player to kill problems players anywhere or allow those players to use revocable DM-like invincible invisible ghost characters that don't do anything other than PVP.
Option A is the least restrictive, with free pk outside of town and option I is the most restrictive with pvp only if both participants go to a menu and enter the other users name and there are no consequences to losing the battle.

Only votes and brief comments on your choice in this thread.

Discuss the various options in the "PVP System -- Feature Discussion" thread
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: Restricted PK vote.

Post by Warrior » Tue 18.09.2007, 08:13

My vote: H and I (the duel modes).
The only way to pk is if both participants agree to do so.
This is similar to a birth option (pvp on or off) but easier to work with for the players.
People might actually get mad and WANT to start a fight with one particular person...

If not this, I would go for option G.
This because different characters and players obviously have different strengths and skill level, a newbie with a human warrior at level 13 is a whole lot weaker than an experienced player with a  high elf warrior thats level 15. Restricting it to only the same level makes the battle as even as it can get, without starting to calculate %'s of exp. However, the drawback here is that if you're by any chance the same level as another player you will have to watch your back all the time. And someone who just hit level 50 will never feel safe from the other level 50's. So I'd really prefer the duel modes.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Tue 18.09.2007, 08:50

I like option C with the caveat that a smaller level character should always be able to attack a larger level character.  

Usually there is no reason to pk someone that small but in the event of blatant cheeze or abuse (spammers suck, can we have an ignore option already?) I think people should be able to take care of it themselves without having to go crying to Crimson.
King of the Hill Baby!

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Tue 18.09.2007, 10:55

I also vote I. I really don't want to get involved in PK, and so I want no one to be able to target me without my first acquiescing. It might be worthwhile to have an option K to allow players to toggle PKable or non-PKable where only players with the option set would be able to PK or be PKed, subject to perhaps one of the other options A through G. If implemented, I'd like to see a game option for allowing players to view the 'PKable' list, so see who's feuding with whom.

As always, anything of these options should be implemented on a server by server basis by changes to the config file.
Mangband Project Team Member

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Tue 18.09.2007, 12:38

Crimson has already verified that he would like to make PK result in no losses, so a lot of the current problems are going to go away. Notably the self-preservation concerns of those who voted for plan I, and the "beating up low levels for lunch money" annoyance addressed by plan C.

I don't want to impose any level restrictions if it turns out that winning or losing doesn't matter, but I strongly support Plan A because PK can only be an annoyance in town.