It took me four months...

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the PWMangband variant.
PowerWyrm
Balrog

It took me four months...

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 30.06.2007, 12:12

...but today I finally finished coding my variant!
So the next steps will be:
- find a permanent host to run a PWMangband server
- find some space on the web to store the client so that people will be able to play
Help will be required here, as I have no way to do that at the moment...

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Re: It took me four months...

Post by Fink » Sun 01.07.2007, 13:35

This is damn impressive - good god, I have never seen anyone code with such a vengeance, getting so much done in so fast a time.

So! Sounds like we need to hash out, as you mention, server and client hosting. Reminds me - as you are based on Jug's windows code, your variant contains an Ironman mode right? What difficulty would I encounter if I were to try to host both my own temp (I can probably stop calling it temp, heh) vanMang Ironman, and an instance of IronPWband?

As for the client, perhaps one if the peeps here could plop it on their site or ftp, with a link in your forum section to it, for the time being?

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Fri 06.07.2007, 14:11

I just tried and didn't manage to run two servers on my computer... it seems that you need 2 IPs to launch 2 servers.  :(  :(  :(
And yes my variant contains an ironman mode... you just need to set IRONMAN = true in mangband.cfg (cool eh?)

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Fri 06.07.2007, 17:25

It's completely impossible to share an IP address with two servers right now. You need to use different network ports and the server is hardcoded to run on the one specific port.

I don't recall. Does the metaserver/client support alternate port numbers were they to be implemented server side? I propose an upgrade for the next version so we can have multiple servers on one machine. You'd see things like "mangserv.somebody.com (11600) (MAngband 0.8.0 alpha)" and "mangserv.somebody.com (18346) (MAngband 0.7.0 beta)" on the list. While you're at it, allowing it to bind the server to one particular network device via the config file in Linux would probably be fairly easy.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sat 07.07.2007, 04:17

Congratulations!

You've done some great coding and I'm really looking forward to playing your variant :)

I've already got Jug's server/client available at http://mangband.googlepages.com/ and it'd be no problem to put yours there as well, even if you find a more suitable place it could be useful as a mirror anyway :)

If you'd like to email it to me that'd be good, mangband at gmail.com

:)
-- Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sun 08.07.2007, 08:31

Done...

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sun 08.07.2007, 16:18

Ok, the whole package with server/client/console is available for download here: http://mangband.googlepages.com/PWMangband.zip

And very temporarily hosting a server. It's way too slow to really be playable though.
-- Mangband Project Team Member