[BMA] Server will be down

Issues, news, and discussion specific to any other servers.
Berendol
Evil Iggy

[BMA] Server will be down

Post by Berendol » Tue 10.06.2003, 13:20

I'm making some big changes to the server savefile structure today. Unfortunately this seems to have broken the server savefile already, and believe me, I tried really hard to prevent that. So, when the server is back up it'll be a fresh new server. I figure it'd be best to take it offline until I'm done to minimize the frustration everyone is going to probably have. I apologize to all of my players who *don't* have 8 hours a day to get their characters back up to speed.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Crimson
King Lich

Re: Server will be down

Post by Crimson » Tue 10.06.2003, 14:59

Yeah, a big disadvantage of being on the bleeding edge, the dreaded server savefile breakage.

This is one of the reaons I do move so slowly, though.
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: Server will be down

Post by Berendol » Tue 10.06.2003, 18:07

True. The MOTD has always said I might do this, though, so that's covered at least.

I'm almost completely rewriting the save routines so they make sense and there aren't any unused fields. I already had to change them in order to support keyless houses but this is something new. I'm almost done writing out the old structure on paper at the moment, and then I'll write up a new one and code it. It's a lot of work wading through all the useless code that was for "future" savefiles and backwards compatible garbage that doesn't apply to MAngband...
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)