Windows Server?

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Windows Server?

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Mon 28.10.2002, 17:02

I'll post here, too...what the heck.

Is/can someone working to compile a new Windows version of the server?  The one we have currently blows goats.

Alternativly, does anyone have a step-by-step "how to run a server in Linux for dummies" sitting around somewhere?  Sadly, my expertise is in Winbloze, and, well, I don't have time to figure out another OS.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Spooky
Black Yeek

Re: Windows Server?

Post by Spooky » Tue 29.10.2002, 04:47

Are you currently running linux at the moment, or did you just choose it as a alternative OS for running a mangband server?

Its just that FreeBSD comes with mangband 0.7.0 as a ready compiled package and running it is as simple as /usr/local/bin/./mangband

Just a thought. ;)
http://www.int13h.com - Its all about control

arfer
Black Yeek

Post by arfer » Fri 01.11.2002, 22:31

Running a linux mangband server is easy, the only problem you would have is in compiling it.  Other than that, all you have to do is edit the mangband.cfg file, and run mangband (or a script to ensure it is always running in case of crashes).

If you are still confused or would like step-by-laborous-step of excruciating detail, from source dl to running the server, I'd be happy to write a simple document, but only if it would actually be of use..  8)

- arfer

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Fri 01.11.2002, 23:12

Oyeah, I'd love it.  I tried getting FreeBSD, but, well, since I'm more of a Windows geek, I couldn't figure it out...so it's back to Mandrake for my other box.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

arfer
Black Yeek

Post by arfer » Sat 02.11.2002, 01:42

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I've compiled it many times.  Hopefully this may be of use to someone.  I've posted on my webserver: http://jerk.wox.org/arfer/mangserv-HOWTO.txt, the forum said my text was too long to put in a message.

- arfer

Crimson
King Lich

Post by Crimson » Sat 02.11.2002, 02:54

I'll fix that, sorry. (the "that's too long" limit)
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator