*enchant* Scrolls

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

*enchant* Scrolls

Post by Maegdae » Sat 26.10.2002, 18:53

As far as I know, there is nothing that can be done with *enchant* armor/weapon scrolls that can't be done with 5-6 regular enchant scrolls.  Perhaps they could be given a high chance of getting armor/weapons to up +13 or +14? Could something be done to diffentiate the *Enchant* from the regular scrolls?  Just an idea.  :)
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Re: *enchant* Scrolls

Post by Domino » Mon 04.11.2002, 02:51

For My part I would like it if the *Enchant* scrolls were made a little (or a lot) rarer and allowed you to repair things like gauntlets of slaying/istari damage bonuses and extra armor on things like defenders as well as being able to be used in the normal manner.
King of the Hill Baby!

Crimson
King Lich

Post by Crimson » Mon 04.11.2002, 07:14

That's an intereting thought.  Perhaps it would even allow you to upgrade "secondary" attributes on some items, like the armor rating on amulets.

Of course, such a thing would be so incredibly rare it might necessitate creating an entirely new type of scroll just to keep the *enchant* scrolls intact, or it'd be like removing them completely.  (Not that they do any real good, but that's an angband mechanic, so it needs to be preserved to stay true to angband).
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Mon 04.11.2002, 15:35

I really like the idea, but why so incredibly rare? Say you have these three items;
Istaris, (+2 +2) 2 +15  +3  
Two Handed Sword HA, +20 +20 [1] +4
Amulet of Magi [3] +5 searching

To get each of then to 5 for their respective attributes (slaying for istaris, ac for magi/HA) you would need 2 scrolls for the magi, 6 for the istaris, 4 for the HA.  Even after doing so, you wouldn't have any big improvement, just making a nice item look way cooler.  Is 6 ac, 3 to hit, 3 to dam, going to really help you that much in combat? And it cost you *12* scrolls!  And thats assuming that none of the scrolls "fail to enchant" the weapon.  
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Mon 04.11.2002, 16:27

Incredibly rare Maegdae because it would allow you to do something that is otherwise impossible.  Just having the chance to do it makes rarity a good thing.  If it wasn't rare then people would take it for granted.  The nice thing about getting newish features should be that you are realy realy happy when you get to use it/them.  Anyway I don't think there is realy a need for a NEW item Kismet.  The fact of the matter is, by the time you start running into *Enchant* scrolls NOW they are generally worthless.  Sure if I find one I'll read it and see if I can get some of my current EQ up one spot but for anyone seriously trying to enchant something well either they're a priest or paladin with the spell or they sit in front of the shop and buy huge stacks of enchantment scrolls.  I can understand you wanting to stay true to Angband, however Angband is several versions past where we are with Mangband already so the differences are already quite apparent to anyone jumping over.
King of the Hill Baby!