Potions of *Healing* in the Black Market

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Potions of *Healing* in the Black Market

Post by Ashi » Mon 30.12.2002, 19:12

I think the potions of *Healing* should be made more expensive and stocked in the Black Market. It would be really helpful to high level warriors who have tons of HP but need potions of *Healing* or Life to restore more than 300 at a time.

Crimson
King Lich

Re: Potions of *Healing* in the Black Market

Post by Crimson » Mon 30.12.2002, 19:29

Probably not.

*Healing* potions are entirely too rare to be in the BM.
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Mon 30.12.2002, 20:31

My request is that there be some way for non-priests to recover more than 300 HP at a time and that it would be common enough for people to use every dive. It seems that most monsters at high levels can breathe for 500 HP damage at a time.

Crimson
King Lich

Post by Crimson » Mon 30.12.2002, 21:51

There is nothing (rarity aside) from preventing *Healing* pots from appearing now.  the rarity is the problem, but they are very rare for a reason.
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Tue 31.12.2002, 00:13

I agree with Crimson.  Having to plan your dives becomes nessesary at some point.  Not having heal everything is one of the planning points.  It's one of the few things that keeps the deep uniques scary.  Hell be happy Healing potions are there now.  I had to bug Alex for a long time before he agreed that it was a good idea.  I remember having to find all my Healing potions and scumming the 1500-2k looking for them at level 45 just so I could make a 20 minute dive down to 4k.  It's probably one of the major reasons players now CAN get to level ~40 relatively easily.  
King of the Hill Baby!

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Fri 28.04.2006, 07:44

This is a pretty old thread but it's still a problem, I've played  Zaphod for 7 months now and I had at most 33 potions of *Healing* and 19 potions of Life.

After spending a few weeks looking for Morgoth in a good spot I'm down to about 20+20, they get destroyed now and then. If I don't find big P soon I'll have to go search for *Heal*/Life a few more months and I suspect I don't have time for that.

I love the way the game is really hard, if it wasn't a challenge I wouldn't have spent thousands of hours playing it.

Potions of *Healing* and potions of Life are the most valueable potions in the game, wouldn't it be expected that whoever created these potions also had the skills to give them the ability to ignore the lows? I wouldn't put my potions of life in a glass bottle.

I don't think it'd be right to make them stock in the BM but maybe they should appear in stacks of 1d3 or 1d4 with the same frequency as today.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sun 08.10.2006, 23:33

The no-destroy idea is interesting, and could be seen as a middle-ground accomdation. As well, I don't think it would be too non-Angbandish: the exceedingly rare things in the game generally are fairly sturdy (you dont see rings of speed getting disenchanted, etc. Oo, on the other hand, that's an interesting balance idea ...)

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Mon 09.10.2006, 08:21

Hehe, once in the while lightening will kill a speed ring, I guess it's about 2-3 months since a +14 was killed that way.

I now have more *Healing* and Life but thats because I haven't brought them to the dungeon the last 2-3 months and I've been buying many from other players.

But you can't expect every player in the game to do that, just to be able to fight Morgoth.

They should so definitely ignore the lows, it's the same as with for example the istari gloves, it's just a design screwup, it's a bugfix!
:)
And again, I think, piles of 1d2 or 1d3, 1d4 perhaps...
-- Mangband Project Team Member