Wierd Key loss

Post the obvious, so we can all chuckle with you...
Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Wierd Key loss

Post by Maegdae » Tue 18.03.2003, 02:47

Ok, died from teleporting into aether hounds.
Everything surivived.. except my key.. when I died, I noticed there was no key in my inventory, but I assumed it would appear as soon as I was revived.
My houses were empty BEFORE the level was reset, so the key wasn't on the level anywhere... any suggestions? Losing all houses really sucks, and I don't want this to happen to anybody else.
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Re: Wierd Key loss

Post by Domino » Wed 19.03.2003, 02:09

This has happened before to other people.  Personally I figure hey.. 9x outta 10 our keys remain in our inventory.  Remembering last server when 9x outta 10 your key would go poof which gave rise to the ubiquitous key characters I think this is pretty good odds.  That being said I think most of the people I've talked to that had this happen had thier inventory completely full when they died.  Howbout you?
King of the Hill Baby!

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Sun 23.03.2003, 15:40

Yeah, I remember having quite a bit of room in my inventory.  It's very rarely full, because I only carry up cool stuff, like life pots, chaos/balance dsm, or expensive stuff like speed rings and 300k+books.  
 Yeah, this system is definitely better than the old one.. by a mile;  still, it would be nice to know what caused that key loss.  Is there a random chance of losing your key?  Or you lose key if you die too many times?

(Edit) I just started up my char today, the only things in his inventory are stuff he had in inventory when he died...
It is almost full, so maybe having a full inventory is the
cause of key loss?
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Crimson
King Lich

Post by Crimson » Wed 26.03.2003, 09:58

What's actually going on here is that the key is being "bumped" off your inventory list while you're dropping things after death.  Normally, it gets saved by virtue of not being directly dropped, but there's still a chance it'll get bumped, and if it does, it'd be the first thing to drop.  An artifact, or such, landing on top of it would then vaporise it.

I'm not convinced there isn't a bug here, though.  I'll try to make some time to investigate it, and let you know what I discoverer.  THings are pretty hectic for me personally just now, so I wouldn't expect this to occur immediately.

Crimson.
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator