connection with a proxy?

All your questions answered.
Uwe S.

connection with a proxy?

Post by Uwe S. » Tue 05.11.2002, 16:38

Hello everyone!

I just downloaded Mangband 0.7.0 (Windows).

I started the game, and tried the servers - and failed. On some I got as far as selecting name, race and stat orders. Then I waited and got 2 error messages

"No verify response" and then "Network  verify failed".

I suspect that this is related to me being on university network, aparently using a proxy.

Does anyone know what to do?

Thank you for your time

Uwe

Crimson
King Lich

Re: connection with a proxy?

Post by Crimson » Tue 05.11.2002, 22:00

You will always get to the username/password screen, even if you've picked an nonsensical name.  However, the "race/class/order" screen only ever happens if you've at least connected to a valid server.  This makes me think you're just timing out because you just can't get a reasonably quick connection on that network.  Given the state of (dis)repair on most university networks, I don't find this amazing, but I'm not willing to give it up there.  I'll enable special tracking code for your connection to mangband.org (only) for a day or so, if you care to try it, and you can reproduce the problem.

This does require you email me what information you might have about where you're connecting from, as reported from the public internet.  This type of information is available from http://whatismyipaddress.com, and my email address, is, of course, kismet@mangband.org.
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator

Swotl

Re: connection with a proxy?

Post by Swotl » Thu 07.11.2002, 04:20

Thanks for offering help.

Timing out seems to have been the problem. Right now I can connect without any problems.

Swotl