Hi I'm new, i've got a few questions about this.

All your questions answered.
CerealKiller
Squint-Eyed Rogue

Hi I'm new, i've got a few questions about this.

Post by CerealKiller » Fri 01.04.2005, 23:25

Okay, i got introduced to Angband and the like in a PC gamer article about ZangbandTK. So, i loaded it up, and found myself addicted. After several unsucsessful characters, I finally got to 21 with a Chaos Warrior Klackon (turned to a Half Elf at level 6). But then my god chose the worst possible moment to summon a horde of monsters on me. and then i died  :-X

Anyway... Multiplayer angband sounds interesting. I have a few questions though, since Zangband's interface and graphics seem so much easier, is it really hard to get used to Angband? The symbols seem confusing... and of course the inscriptions/macros that i don't know anything about (side question, are inscriptions and macros the same thing?).

This game is not turn based, right? so, does the winner of a fight depend on who has the fastest fingers? just how fast is the "real time" anyway?

Are there many players on at a given time?

I would play to find out... but, when i try to install, i get something like "./lib isn't found".

Crimson
King Lich

Re: Hi I'm new, i've got a few questions about thi

Post by Crimson » Sat 02.04.2005, 11:00

Mangband has to be started from the directory everything gets installed in.  In addition to the main executable, there are several directories involved.  Make sure you unpacked everything with the directory structures in tact, and then make a shortcut to the game executable so WIndows will change to the right directory.

The game itself has waned in popularity somewhat (it's 10 years old now), but still has a few active characters.  You can use the "server list" on the main website to check from time to time and see who's playing on which server.

Real-time means just that.  There are some 'speed breaks' in the game to keep things from getting insane, but basically a round lasts a second, and there are up to 40 combat 'turns' in that round.  The game has a built in 'auto-retaliator' that will handle hand to hand combat for you in most cases (but don't get surrounded, bad things happen).  You do, however have to handle spell casting, wands, etc, yourself.

Mostly in defference to the known limitations of humans and internet connections, Death is handled a bit differently.  Instead of dying outright, you become a ghost, and can get yourself resurrected, or get help from another player and actually recover your gear.

The upshot of this is, yes, the game can be quite nerve wracking at times.

Crimson
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator

CerealKiller
Squint-Eyed Rogue

Post by CerealKiller » Sat 02.04.2005, 20:18

Thanks, crimson.

So do i just download "Windows Client rev3", or do i have to download rev1 and rev2 as well?

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sat 02.04.2005, 22:15

Download the client listed on the downloads page as:

"Windows client (updated 1/12/03)"

And again, remember that it's realtime: don't idle in the stores or anything like that :P

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Mon 04.04.2005, 04:07

9 out of 10 dentists prefer the 0.7.2 alpha client over the 0.7.0 series.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Sat 09.04.2005, 11:15

The other 2 out of 10 dentists prefer BClient.

Obviously, one of the nine is using it to clone himself and vote twice. :o

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Sun 10.04.2005, 18:32

Information regarding this newfound dentist-cloning bug should be passed along on the bug report forum, thanks!

*ahem*
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)