MAngband speed problems

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Warb
Blubbering Idiot

MAngband speed problems

Post by Warb » Wed 06.11.2002, 06:03

I have a serious problem with speed...I don't play mangband on the net but on LAN. Mangband's player character won't move, it's like lagging except it shouldn't because i've played for example Star Craft, Doom2 and Duke Nukem 3D on LAN...so...is there anything what could help without changing frame rate??
I have 2 PCs and other one uses win98 and the other win98 SE...

arfer
Black Yeek

Re: MAngband speed problems

Post by arfer » Wed 06.11.2002, 09:24

Hm,

Are you sure it's lagging, and not the FPS of the game?  Most new players get confused and say the game is lagging because, for example, pressing left 5 times in quick succession doesn't move your @ 5 spaces.

This isn't lag, but part of the turn-based attribute of the game.  If you could just run around "lagless" at high speed, then the monsters would also be able to as well.

Having said that, if you ARE talking about real lag, are you using the windows server?  My friend has used the windows server on a fast connection and computer and it was still quite laggy.  Ah, the perils of windows... Your best bet would be to get a server up on a unix machine.

- arfer

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Wed 06.11.2002, 10:02

Since you're using 2 windows machines, I assume you're running the 0.7.0 Beta Windows Server and it doesn't work worth a darn.  Even increasing the FPS won't help your 'lag'.  I have to agree with Arfer on this one, your best bet is to get a linux machine up to serve your game.
King of the Hill Baby!

morggin
Mangy-Looking Leper

Post by morggin » Mon 18.11.2002, 01:55

sorry to say it but it lags a bit on linux as well my server is Athlon 700 with 512 megs ram running debian woody.  still lags ... you may be able to fiddle around with the options on the client side seems like iv seen a switch to turn off the [glow=red,2,300]GRAPHIC[/glow] representation and go with ASCII art.  may help out some.
:o

Crimson
King Lich

Post by Crimson » Mon 18.11.2002, 11:25

I don't have issues with the client lagging at all, running on a P450.  If you're playing on a local lan, login as the DM character you configured, and see if the lag "dissapears" at +50 speed.  If so, then what you're seeing is the natural, normal, turn based play.  If it gets worse, then yes, it's lagging.

Mangband's GDI interface to windows is so trivial it's hard for me to imagine it could be creating a problem, but I didn't compile or supply the .exe version of the client, and anything is possible.  Hopefully, when I get the djgpp version of the .exe working, this issue will be put to rest.
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator

Korat_Rahmoon
Mean-Looking Mercenary

Post by Korat_Rahmoon » Mon 18.11.2002, 17:11

Kindof off topic, but related:

I'm running three Windows machine, one with Win 98, one with Win 98 SE, and another with Win2K Pro.  I also have a friend who often brings his Linux machine over.

My experience with these machines is that the Windows server runs really bad, unplayable often, on both Win 98 machines, but it runs quite well on Win2K.  Still not as great as Linux, but a VAST improvement over the Win98 server.

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Mon 18.11.2002, 20:00

Hmm, I've tried running the Windows server on Win2k and so has Bigjuan.  Can't move at all logged in localy or remotely over our network.
King of the Hill Baby!

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Tue 19.11.2002, 12:04

Ah yurp...and the Winblows servers do exactly that...blow.

Can we puhLEASE get someone to compile a Windows server that doesn't suck?

PLEAAAAAAASE?
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Crimson
King Lich

Post by Crimson » Wed 20.11.2002, 20:28

working on it, daily.

"working" and windows don't like being in the same sentance.
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator